ANNOUNCE: Version 4.13-1 released

Tony Finch dot at DOTAT.AT
Sat Mar 1 16:48:50 GMT 2003

Julian Field <mailscanner at ECS.SOTON.AC.UK> wrote:
>At 16:18 01/03/2003, you wrote:
>>Julian Field <mailscanner at ECS.SOTON.AC.UK> wrote:
>> >
>> >- Improved rulesets to allow optional '.' on the end of addresses.
>>
>>Hmm. That's a syntax error that should be rejected by the MTA...
>
>Disagree here. As a DNS domain name,
>         spammer.com.
>is just as valid as
>         spammer.com
>I always thought the same applied to mail addresses.

It's one of the peculiar differences between the two :-)

RFC 2821:

      Domain = (sub-domain 1*("." sub-domain)) / address-literal
      sub-domain = Let-dig [Ldh-str]
      Let-dig = ALPHA / DIGIT
      Ldh-str = *( ALPHA / DIGIT / "-" ) Let-dig

RFC 2822:

domain          =       dot-atom / domain-literal / obs-domain
dot-atom        =       [CFWS] dot-atom-text [CFWS]
dot-atom-text   =       1*atext *("." 1*atext)
atom            =       [CFWS] 1*atext [CFWS]

The same is true for local parts too, which is slightly more surprising:

RFC 2821:
      Local-part = Dot-string / Quoted-string
      Dot-string = Atom *("." Atom)
      Atom = 1*atext

RFC 2822:
local-part      =       dot-atom / quoted-string / obs-local-part

Tony.
SELSEY BILL TO LYME REGIS: SOUTHWEST 5 VEERING WEST OR NORTHWEST 3 OR 4.
SHOWERS. MAINLY GOOD. MODERATE LOCALLY ROUGH AT FIRST.