SpamAssassin 2.55 problem

mikea mikea at MIKEA.ATH.CX
Mon Jun 30 21:52:42 IST 2003

On Mon, Jun 30, 2003 at 09:09:03PM +0100, Tony Finch wrote:
> Paul <zen23003 at ZEN.CO.UK> wrote:
> >
> >I'll order more memory this week; taking the box up from its current 32
> >Mb to its max of 256 Mb.
>
> 32MB is way too little. I wouldn't try running MailScanner on a machine
> with less than 64MB.

What He Said, with some personal experience to back it up. I found
that 64 MB was far, far too small, and scrounged a pair of 384MB
PIII-433 boxes off the for-surplus pile. These work nicely.

256 MB may be OK, but I don't see a lot of left-over RAM in either
of the 384MB machines. Granted, I have X and FVWM2 running, with a
bunch of xterms showing me that things are still alive and running,
and others with editor sessions (vim) and whatnot) open, and that's
not going to improve storage requirements. Even so, I suspect that the
point of diminishing returns is somewhere around half a gigabyte of
RAM. It's cheap enough that that shouldn't be over-difficult to get:
about US$100 here.

--
Mike Andrews
mikea at mikea.ath.cx