is per user whitelist/blacklist config and a default whitelist/blacklist possible?

Ken Anderson ka at PACIFIC.NET
Thu Jun 26 18:30:50 IST 2003

Am I correct that these 3 lines are not needed if we are only checking
for one TO address, since this is per user config?

return 1 if $BlackWhite->{$todomain}{$from};
return 1 if $BlackWhite->{$todomain}{$fromdomain};
return 1 if $BlackWhite->{$todomain}{$ip};

For example, I implemented this as a blacklist, including your
suggestion for the default list:

# new lookup by email list
sub LookupByEmailList {
   my($message, $BlackWhite) = @_;
   return 0 unless $message; # Sanity check the input
   # Find the "from" address and the first "to" address
   my($from, $fromdomain, @todomain, $todomain, @to, $to, $ip);
   $from       = $message->{from};
   $fromdomain = $message->{fromdomain};
   @todomain   = @{$message->{todomain}};
   $todomain   = $todomain[0];
   @to         = @{$message->{to}};
   $to         = $to[0];
   $ip         = $message->{clientip};
   # It is in the list if either the exact address is listed,
   # or the domain is listed
   return 1 if $BlackWhite->{$to}{$from};
   return 1 if $BlackWhite->{$to}{$fromdomain};
   return 1 if $BlackWhite->{$to}{$ip};
   return 1 if $BlackWhite->{'default'}{$from};
   return 1 if $BlackWhite->{'default'}{$fromdomain};
   return 1 if $BlackWhite->{'default'}{$ip};
   # It is not in the list
   return 0;
}

I'll let you know what kind of performance impact it has as we begin to
build user white/blacklists. Am I correct that this all gets loaded into
memory when MailScanner starts, and isn't reloaded unless MailScanner
restarts?

Thanks,
Ken A.