Sobig.E Getting Through Intermittently

Ron E. ree at THUNDERSTAR.NET
Thu Jun 26 03:45:51 IST 2003

I have also noticed this - one idea maybe is to check file extensions of
files within .zip files - perhaps mailscanner should block zip or other
compressed files that contain only disallowed files.

So, for instance, a .zip that contains only a .pif, which is how Sobig.E
spreads, would be blocked.

Actually any compressed file with a .pif, .scr, .bat, etc., I would be
willing to block regardless if it was the only thing in the file or not -
if it's one of those, 9 out of 10 it's a virus anyway.

What do you think, Julian?

Regards,

Ron