Mcafee updating weirdness...

Peter Bates Peter.Bates at LSHTM.AC.UK
Thu Jun 26 11:36:07 IST 2003

Hello all...

I guess not strictly an MS problem, but related.

Noticing that my Linux version of Mcafee (i.e. uvscan)
was a bit creaky, I decided to upgrade it, getting the
newest version I could find, and then just running the standard
Mcafee 'install' routine (in the absence of anything like 'Sophos.install').

I now get:

/usr/lib/MailScanner/mcafee-wrapper --version
Virus Scan for Linux v4.24.0
Copyright (c) 1992-2003 Networks Associates Technology Inc. All rights reserved.
(408) 988-3832  LICENSED COPY - Jan 27 2003

Scan engine v4.2.40 for Linux.
Virus data file v4244 created Jan 22 2003
Scanning for 63357 viruses, trojans and variants.

... and still the same after running mcafee-autoupdate,
so I am guessing that the new DAT files are not being
put in the right place...

Is there anything I check, or anything I've likely to have
just broken?