Shutdown MailScanner (Sendmail)

Paul van Brouwershaven - Networking4all p.vanbrouwershaven at NETWORKING4ALL.COM
Wed Jun 25 20:54:48 IST 2003

I can find only one head file "/usr/bin/head"

There where now problems before upgrading to a new version of sendmail.
(up2date program redhat) I think sendmail has overwritten the old file.

-----Oorspronkelijk bericht-----
Van: MailScanner mailing list [mailto:MAILSCANNER at JISCMAIL.AC.UK] Namens
Mariano Absatz
Verzonden: woensdag 25 juni 2003 20:18
Aan: MAILSCANNER at JISCMAIL.AC.UK
Onderwerp: Re: Shutdown MailScanner (Sendmail)

Hi Paul,

well, I don't use the standard mailscanner rc scripts, but I've just
downloaded the rpm to see it and I see it's using the "head" command to
avoid
problems if a .pid file is multiline...

And you seem to have a different head command somewhere _before_ the
oficial
one in your PATH.

For the options I see, it's a command to talk to a web server (e.g. to
give a
HEAD http protocol command to a server).

Try
 which head
and it will show you the head command being invoked.

In my vanilla RedHat 7.3 the real head command is at /usr/bin/head
(maybe the
one being found in your system is in /usr/local/bin/head or something
like
that.

Find out where is the "good" one it in your system. In RedHat it comes
from
the textutils rpm.

You have a couple of choices:
1) get rid of the strange head command (or rename it to something like
httphead or something appropiate).
2) modify your PATH environment variable, so it finds the good head
before.
3) modify /etc/rc.d/init.d/MailScanner so it invokes the correct one.

The third one is the easiest. Try the following (supposing the real head
is
at /usr/bin/head):

cp /etc/rc.d/init.d/MailScanner /etc/rc.d/init.d/MailScanner.ORI
sed -e sXheadX/usr/bin/headX /etc/rc.d/init.d/MailScanner.ORI \
        > /etc/rc.d/init.d/MailScanner.NEW
mv /etc/rc.d/init.d/MailScanner.NEW /etc/rc.d/init.d/MailScanner

HTH

--
Mariano Absatz
El Baby