filtering file types vs. extensions

Scott Adkins adkinss at OHIO.EDU
Mon Jun 23 14:34:36 IST 2003

As opposed to running the "file" command everytime, why not suck in the
/etc/magic file and use it?  That is all the file command really does...
You can even provide your own version of the /etc/magic file (and allow
a config option to be changed to use a different one if need be) so that
you can support it on systems (like Windows) that don't have a /etc/magic
file on hand, or has the file, but is rather weak.

Anyways, saving on fork/execs at a cost of a little bit of persistant
memory should be quite worth it...

Scott

--On Monday, June 23, 2003 10:26 AM +0100 Julian Field

      Scott W. Adkins                http://www.cns.ohiou.edu/~sadkins/
   UNIX Systems Engineer                  mailto:adkinss at ohio.edu
        ICQ 7626282                 Work (740)593-9478 Fax (740)593-1944
     PGP Public Key available at http://www.cns.ohiou.edu/~sadkins/pgp/