FW: Advantages to using Mailscanner for Spam Filtering only !? [WasRe: MailScanner with Trend Micro]

S Mohan smohan at vsnl.com
Thu Jun 19 04:17:43 IST 2003

Yes. A committed and excellent software architect as project/product
owner that makes a difference in quality and response.

Philosophically, MS does not try to reinvent the wheel but complements
what a MTA does. Sane and good strategy (Most commercial products use a
SMTP gateway - at least Trend Micro does). For this reason, MailScanner
can run on the same system as the MTA without change of service ports
which is required for most commercial gateways. This
compartmentalization allows to take advantage of MTA features that best
suits one's need in terms of performance, security etc which would be
difficult to provide in a software that is not core deliverable in long
term.

Mohan