Antivirus and licenses

Leland J. Steinke steinkel at PA.NET
Fri Jun 13 14:27:29 IST 2003

J. Figueira wrote:
> Hello,

> I think we are loosing the focus here on the antivirus and the licences. If

Well, I went and asked f-prot about licensing for an application that only uses
the command-line scanner thus:

 > We have several linux applications, both in-house and customer, that require
 > only the f-prot command-line scanner and not the f-prot daemon scanner. Will
 > the "F-Prot Antivirus for Linux Workstations" be sufficient for our needs?

I did not mention MailScanner at all.  At worst, this is a sin of omission ;-).

Anyway, here is the reply:

 > The difference between F-Prot Antivirus for Linux Workstations and the one
 > for Linux File Servers is how it is used.
 >
 > The license fee for F-Prot Antivirus for Linux File Servers is based on the
 > number of servers that the license should cover. For the Linux Workstations
 > however, the license fee is based on the number of workstations covered.
 >
 > Our website offers you the possibility to calculate the license fee for
 > various numbers of workstations. Please access the calculator from the
 > following path:
 >
 > http://www.f-prot.com/products/corporate_users/unix/linux/fileserver.html
 >
 > http://www.f-prot.com/products/corporate_users/unix/linux/workstations.html
 >
 > Please do not hesitate to contact us if you need any further information.

So, I guess I get an incomplete answer to my, admittedly, intentionally
incomplete question.

I am recommending to my management that we go with the Linux File Server
version.  We do not need to, but we think it is a good compromise.

What do others think?

Leland