Antivirus and licenses

J. Figueira j.figueira at mail.pt
Fri Jun 13 10:13:59 IST 2003

Hello,

I think we are loosing the focus here on the antivirus and the licences. If
possible, I would like someone to clear this up.
This question has been arising for some time, in some posts, but I have
never seen some answer clearing it up.
We use the antivirus to scan e-mail... that's true, but... we are using
mailscanner. In my perspective the license we would need is for a simple
command-line tool. Nothing more! If I buy an Antivirus with sendmail
support, that washes dishes, and takes me coffee ļ etc. etc. I wouldn't be
needing mailscanner. (Of course I would :) it's a very nice piece of
software, I think you get the point). In a strictly technical point of view
this is true. In the legal plan I am not so sure this is true... I think
that the thing here is that when the commercial services of the antivirus
companies hear "mail" and ¡§antivirus¡¨ in the sane sentence, it sounds
like "money" for them¡K If someone could clear this up it would be nice.

Best regards
Adira já ao Net Dialup Light. Acesso profissional gratuito.
NovisNet, a Internet de quem trabalha. http://www.novisnet.pt