logging problem

David Vosburgh vosburgh at DALSEMI.COM
Thu Jun 12 14:30:08 IST 2003

I have, but there is no "-T" option to syslogd for Solaris (at least
from 2.6 through 2.8).  There is a "-t" option (disable the syslogd UPD
port), which is the default, and the way syslogd was running when I
first started MailScanner.  When that didn't work, I read the FAQ, which
suggested removing it.  I did, but it didn't fix the logging problem.

Dave

Julian Field wrote:

> Have you read the syslogd man page and added the "-T" option to the
> syslogd
> command in /etc/init.d/syslog. I seem to remember you usually need to
> turn
> this on.
>
> At 12:32 12/06/2003, you wrote:
>
>> I get the normal sendmail logs to maillog, but nothing from
>> mailscanner/spamassassin.
>>
>> I did some testing with Sys::Syslog and I think that's where the problem
>> is.  Even extremely simple attempts to log a message failed (without
>> errors).  A quick look on SunSolve didn't reveal any known compatibility
>> issues with syslogd, although there was a very current patch for syslog
>> out there.  Because we need to get the spam logging working to collect
>> metrics prior to a production roll-out, I brute forced it by changing a
>> few of the Sys:Syslog calls in Log.pm to use system calls to logger
>> instead.
>>
>> Dave
>>
>> Peter Bonivart wrote:
>>
>>> Strange, I have a similar setup (Solaris 9, Sendmail 8.12.9,
>>> MailScanner
>>> 4.21-6 and SpamAssassin 2.54). The only thing I changed in
>>> MailScanner.conf regarding this was "Log Spam = yes". Nothing is