how to map MS process id to SM process id?

Matt Kettler mkettler at EVI-INC.COM
Sat Jun 7 00:24:37 IST 2003

At 03:01 PM 6/6/2003 -0700, Chris W. Parker wrote:
>Hello.
>
>When checking the maillog I'd like to be able to pull all the records
>pertaining to a certain mail. Is there a way to map the sendmail process
>id to the MS process id that is handling that mail?
>
>Let me know if I haven't made sense.

Process ID's are assigned by the OS itself, and there's no repeatable
relationship between the PID of one process and the PID of another.

Yes most Linux distros assign them in a counting order, but there's no way
to be certain that two processes were started one right after the other
without anything else starting in the middle.

If you are running a paranoid OS (ie: OpenBSD or grsecurity patched linux)
PIDs will be random.

If there was a good inter-process pid mapping scheme, a few obscure kinds
of hacking attempts would be significantly easier.