F-prot says I need the mail server license

Plant, Dean dean.plant at ROKE.CO.UK
Fri Jun 6 10:07:58 IST 2003

Thanks to everyone who replied regarding F-Prot. I have emailed F-prot again to specify that I only need the command line scanner to scan files and I wait to hear their response.

Dean Plant

-----Original Message-----
From: Julian Field [mailto:mailscanner at ECS.SOTON.AC.UK]
Sent: 05 June 2003 20:17
To: MAILSCANNER at JISCMAIL.AC.UK
Subject: Re: F-prot says I need the mail server license

I can only really add 1 comment this discussion.

I have read their software licence very carefully. They completely fail to
define the terms "workstation", "server" and "mail server". You only need
the facilities provided by the "workstation" version. So you should be able
to buy the "workstation" version and, as far as I can see, they haven't got
a leg to stand on.

My only concern is that if everyone buys the "workstation" version they
might go bankrupt, which would be a loss for everyone.

--
Julian Field