MailScanner cron job?

Tony Finch dot at DOTAT.AT
Thu Jun 5 13:52:17 IST 2003

Eric Sandquist <esandquist at IHMS.NET> wrote:

>On my system, I started using MailScanner yesterday...  Seemed to work ok
>for a while... Server load w/o is .60 - .80...  After starting it,
>activating the cron and restarting sendmail for queue.in and queue... load
>jumped to 1.2-1.7... still acceptable... Only scanning for virii...
>SpamAssassin is running through procmail for individual users with
>spamc/spamd since system wide scanning on this machine nearly killed it in
>the past...

Are you running SpamAssassin on the same machine as MailScanner? This is
not a good combination, because when MailScanner finishes handling a batch
you'll get several messages delivered at once which will cause a much
bigger spamd load spike than you would get on a system without MailScanner.
It would be better to use SpamAssassin via MailScanner and configure the
optionality using MailScanner rules files, because that gives you much
better control over the load on the machine.

Tony.
ARDNAMURCHAN POINT TO CAPE WRATH INCLUDING THE OUTER HEBRIDES: SOUTHWEST 4 OR
5 BACKING SOUTHEAST 5 OR 6, LATER VEERING SOUTH 5 OR 6. OCCASIONAL SHOWERS
EARLY, BECOMING CLOUDY, RAIN LATER. GOOD FALLING MODERATE IN SHOWERS THEN
RAIN. MODERATE INCREASING ROUGH.