MailScanner cron job?

Tony Finch dot at DOTAT.AT
Wed Jun 4 09:51:09 IST 2003

"Chris W. Parker" <cparker at SWATGEAR.COM> wrote:

>I've got a Pentium 200mhz machine with 64 megs of ram and I notice that =
>the computer gets REALLY REALLY slow from about 11am to 2pm or =
>thereabouts. Here is an example of how bad it is...
>
>[cparker at filter ~/public_html/reports]$ uptime
> 12:29pm  up 18 days, 21:19,  1 user,  load average: 10.32, 10.39, 8.96
>
>Isn't that rediculous?

You probably have a Max Children setting that's too high. Unlike Apache
(whose child worker processes don't do anything when the machine is idle,
and will happily page out), MailScanner is continuously active scanning
the incoming queue for new messages. Also unlike Apache, MailScanner's
child processes are big and don't share much of their memory -- on my
setup each child uses 20MB. I would run with Max Children = 2 on your
machine.

Tony.
FAIR ISLE: SOUTHEASTERLY 5 OR 6 BECOMING VARIABLE 3 OR 4. RAIN AT TIMES.
MODERATE WITH FOG PATCHES BECOMING GOOD.