SpamAssassin timed out and was killed... box too slow?

Vasantha Narayanan vnarayan at HAVERFORD.EDU
Tue Jun 3 20:55:24 IST 2003

Did you find a solution yet?  I'm having the same problem.   My time outs
are set as per the suggestion on the list.  I was not successful in running
lint.  But when I run it in debug, the only notable error is "unix passed
to setlogsock, but path not available at
/opt/MailScanner/lib/MailScanner/Log.pm line 62".  I do not know how
significan this is.

When I run spamassassin, the mail scanning becomes very slow.  A lot of
mail gets accumulated in the incoming queue waiting to get scanned.   The
load an the system gets very high as well.  Of course, I keep getting the
following errors:

Jun  3 15:39:45 nisc4 MailScanner[3585]: SpamAssassin timed out and was
killed, consecutive failure 1 of 20
Jun  3 15:40:06 nisc4 MailScanner[3619]: SpamAssassin timed out and was
killed, consecutive failure 1 of 20
Jun  3 15:40:11 nisc4 MailScanner[3698]: SpamAssassin timed out and was
killed, consecutive failure 1 of 20
Jun  3 15:41:15 nisc4 MailScanner[3606]: SpamAssassin timed out and was
killed, consecutive failure 1 of 20
Jun  3 15:41:17 nisc4 MailScanner[3576]: SpamAssassin timed out and was
killed, consecutive failure 2 of 20
Jun  3 15:41:18 nisc4 MailScanner[3642]: SpamAssassin timed out and was
killed, consecutive failure 1 of 20

Thanks.

Vasantha

At 12:59 PM 6/2/2003 -0700, you wrote:
>Hello.
>
>We have relatively low email traffic (approx. 450/day on work days) and I
>receive quite a few of these in my /var/log/maillog:
>
>May 17 04:03:08 filter MailScanner[3324]: SpamAssassin timed out and was
>killed, consecutive failure 1 of 20
>
>Does this mean my computer is too slow? It's a 200mhz pentium!!! :) I can
>imagine that it IS too slow, but I just want to make sure it's not a
>configuration problem. Do you think increasing the timeout would help or
>would that make it worse?
>

>Thaks,
>Chris.

VVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVV
Vasantha Narayanan
Networking and Systems                  email: vnarayan at haverford.edu
Haverford College, PA                   Phone:
610-896-1110