Exim+MailScanner - not always queuing mail on "in" side

Rasmus Bøg Hansen moffelist at AMAGERKOLLEGIET.DK
Mon Jun 2 16:09:05 IST 2003

Tony Finch <dot at DOTAT.AT> writes:

> Tim Bishop <tim-lists at BISHNET.NET> wrote:
>>
>>I'm running MailScanner with Exim on FreeBSD. This isn't strictly a
>>MailScanner problem, but I suspect it's related to the way I've set Exim
>>up to work with MailScanner.
>
> Yes.
>
>>The problem is that occasionally (but not always) locally generated
>>messages such as cron output don't get deferred by the incoming exim.
>>From my understanding of Exim it seems that it's ignored the queue_only,
>>then tried to defer it. Then, for some reason, it's decided to fail
>>the message.
>
> This is probably because the hints database for the incoming exim says
> that addresses have been failing for such a long time that they bounce
> immediately. You need to check that the spool directory configurations
> for the incoming and outgoing exims are correct and that they are being
> run with the correct commands, and check that /var/spool/exim_incoming/db
> is empty (as it should be if the queue_only option is working).

I have the same problem. The files in the db directory does not exist
- but show up after some time. Could they appear due to this:

root at gere:/etc# grep incoming  /etc/cron.daily/exim
  exim_tidydb /var/spool/exim_incoming retry >/dev/null
  exim_tidydb /var/spool/exim_incoming wait-remote_smtp >/dev/null
root at gere:/etc#

This is Debian Woody with MailScanner 3.27.1-1 and exim 3.35-1.

/Rasmus

--
Just install Windows. It will crash once a day, and your hardware