More spam after spamassain upgrade

John Rudd jrudd at UCSC.EDU
Thu Jul 24 22:41:35 IST 2003

I'm seeing a similar problem.  My production machines are running v 2.43
with MailScanner 4.11-1, and got these scores:

required 8,
        BIG_FONT, CLICK_BELOW, CLICK_HERE_LINK, CTYPE_JUST_HTML,
        FORGED_RCVD_FOUND, HEADER_8BITS, HTML_70_90,
HTML_FONT_COLOR_GRAY,
        HTML_FONT_COLOR_UNSAFE, HTML_FONT_COLOR_YELLOW,
LINES_OF_YELLING,
        MISSING_MIMEOLE, MSG_ID_ADDED_BY_MTA_2, PRIORITY_NO_NAME,
        SPAM_PHRASE_05_08, TO_LOCALPART_EQ_REAL, X_AUTH_WARNING)

The same message, running through SpamAssassin 2.55 and
MailScanner-4.22-5 gives these scores (I'm in the process of upgrading
right now, so my test machines are running these newer versions):

        required 5, CLICK_BELOW 0.10, HEADER_8BITS 1.18, HTML_70_80
0.51,
        HTML_FONT_BIG 0.27, HTML_FONT_COLOR_GRAY 0.10,
        HTML_FONT_COLOR_UNSAFE 0.10, HTML_LINK_CLICK_HERE 0.10,
        HTML_MESSAGE 0.10, MIME_HTML_ONLY 0.10, MISSING_MIMEOLE 0.50,
        MSG_ID_ADDED_BY_MTA_2 0.40, PRIORITY_NO_NAME 0.46,
        X_AUTH_WARNING -0.40)

The current Spam Assassin looks like it has assigned 0's to the
LINES_OF_YELLING scores, for example.

(the spam in question, for those scores, was a gold and silver
investment blurb)

I wonder if it has something to do with which SA options mailscanner is
assuming (bayes, etc.), which might not be selecting the best possible
score sets.