tmpfs size recommendations

Marco Obaid marco at MUW.EDU
Thu Jul 24 20:16:47 IST 2003

Hi,

> Though, it's a good idea to put a ceiling on the tmpfs (Solaris lets you
> do that, don't know about other OSes), in case some runaway process
> starts dumping stuff into that tmpfs (which will then affect your memory
> footprint for general processing).  So, I think the question becomes
> "what's a good tmpfs ceiling?"

The maximum size is half of the physical RAM. However, the half is not
allocated at startup, it is used as need, allocated out of the spare RAM that
is used for IO buffers and disk cache.

I have always been told that there is not normally any reason to specify any
mount options for tmpfs at all. It's best to leave the OS to manage it all for
you.

Marco