Whitelisted

Ken Anderson ka at PACIFIC.NET
Thu Jul 24 16:25:25 IST 2003

Okay, mail travels in envelopes with a TO and a FROM, just like postal
mail, right?

Mail is opened by the mailserver and delivered to the TO on the envelope
and to the other TO,CC,BCC recipients. The problem is that this delivery
process doesn't happen until the server writes it to the users mail
spool. This doesn't happen until _after_ MailScanner/SA have looked at
the message.

The result is that a whitelist will affect ALL recipients of a message
that has multiple recipients if the first envelope TO address matches
the whitelist. 95% of the mail we see to multiple recipients is spam. :-(

The only way around this using MailScanner is to use sendmail to split
the message when it first arrives into multiple messages with only 1
recipient each.

MailScanner/SA will then see each recipient's copy of the message
separately, so whitelists will be applied as they were intended. The FAQ
entry explains how to do this (though the linebreaks were lost in the
html faq, so it's a bit hard to read). Basically, you just run the
incoming sendmail process with a very slightly modified config file, and
sendmail takes care of splitting the incoming mail into single recipient
messages. Note that this increases the load on your system too, since
each message with x recipients will be split into x messages that
MailScanner processes separately.

FAQ entry:
http://www.sng.ecs.soton.ac.uk/mailscanner/serve/cache/169.html

Ken A.