Mailscanner corrupting pdf files

Plant, Dean dean.plant at ROKE.CO.UK
Wed Jul 23 16:27:45 IST 2003

RH 8.0
Mailscanner 4.21-9
Spamassassin/dcc/razor2
F-prot 4.1.1

A quick description of our mail setup, internal windoze exchange 5.5 server
with outlook 2000 clients. All incoming and outgoing mail is relayed through
a Mailscanner server.

I am having a problem with pdf files corrupting when passing through the
Mailscanner. If a mail with a pdf attachment is sent from one of our
clients, MS exchange encodes the message as either base64 or
quoted-printable format. All messages that are encoded as base64 pass
through the MailScanner correctly. Quoted-printable format mails have the
attachment corrupted. Turning off virus checks on Mailscanner allows the
quoted-printable mails to pass through without corruption, so I assume it
has something to do with:

1. Perl Mime::tools - Is this decoding / encoding the attachment correctly?
2. MS Exchange - Why encode some pdf's as base64 and some as
quoted-printable
3. Different versions/creators of pdf files.

Has anyone else suffered from this problem or does anyone have a suggestion
as a fix.

Thanks

Dean Plant

--
Registered Office: Roke Manor Research Ltd, Siemens House, Oldbury, Bracknell,
Berkshire. RG12 8FZ

The information contained in this e-mail and any attachments is confidential to
Roke Manor Research Ltd and must not be passed to any third party without
permission. This communication is for information only and shall not create or
change any contractual relationship.