check Spam rules before install them

Kai Wang kwang at UCALGARY.CA
Mon Jul 21 21:57:05 IST 2003

Hi All,

We just had a problem yesterday. We have 4 machines running MailScanner.
We synchronize the spam rules among them. One of our administrator made
a syntax error in the spam rules and it was installed to the four machines.
All in the sudden, the 4 machines' MailScanner processes became defunct.
It took me a while to figure the problem out. Could we have a syntax checker
later to prevent this from happening?

Jul 20 17:13:16 XXXX MailScanner[5632]: Syntax error in first field in
line 3000 of ruleset /etc/MailScanner/rules/spam.blacklist.r
ules
Jul 20 17:13:16 XXXX MailScanner[5632]: Aborting due to syntax errors in
/etc/MailScanner/rules/spam.blacklist.rules.

Kai Wang