ZMailer + MailScanner

Mariano Absatz mailscanner at LISTS.COM.AR
Fri Jul 18 22:43:04 IST 2003

Hi there,

a guy who works with me wrote the initial code that allowed MailScanner to
work along with ZMailer.

I maintain it and wrote the simple instructions in:
http://www.sng.ecs.soton.ac.uk/mailscanner/install/zmailer.shtml

As I said there, I didn't have a proper init.d script... in fact, I never had
installed either ZMailer or MailScanner from RPM... I'm usually more
comfortable compiling my most critical pieces of software, and my mail
server, certainly is critical.

However I could argue that if you're running ZMailer, then "you should know"
and if you just want to plain run a MailScanner, you'll be more comfortable
using either Sendmail or Postfix, I just got a hand on a spare old pentium
with redhat in it and I installed ZMailer from rpm using the closest to an
official ZMailer rpm, which is the one developed by Xosé Vázquez, found at
http://rpmfind.net/linux/RPM/contrib/libc6/i386/zmailer-2.99.55-5.i386.html

Then I installed the latest MailScanner 4.22-5 RPM following the
instructions.

Finally, I modified the necesary files in both so they work together.

I'm attaching 3 files:
modify-zmailer.sh:
  is a script to create the /var/spool/postoffice-incoming hierarchy, with
  the proper subdirectories and permissions.

ZMailer-2.99.55-5.rpm-MailScanner.patch:
  is a small patch that modifies the main ZMailer configuration file,
  /etc/zmailer/zmailer.conf so that smtpserver works in that new hierarchy.

MailScanner-4.22-5.rpm-ZMailer.patch:
  is a patch that modifies the following files:
  /etc/rc.d/init.d/MailScanner
  /etc/sysconfig/MailScanner
  /etc/MailScanner/MailScanner.conf
  so that MailScanner works with ZMailer.

You have to be root to make this:

0) Install ZMailer and MailScanner from the rpm's.

1) stop ZMailer if it's running, and disable its startup script (as you do
with Sendmail previous to run MailScanner):
  service zmailer stop
  chkconfig zmailer off

2) run the included shell script:
  ./modify-zmailer.sh
This will check that you're root, will ask for confirmation, and then, it'll
create a bunch of directories... it's a simple script, I used "-v" in most
commands so you can see what's beeing done.

3) Patch ZMailer:
  cd /
  patch -p0 < /path/to/ZMailer-2.99.55-5.rpm-MailScanner.patch

4) Patch MailScanner:
  cd /
  patch -p0 < /path/to/MailScanner-4.22-5.rpm-ZMailer.patch

5) Enable and start MailScanner. This will also start ZMailer:
  chkconfig --add MailScanner
  chkconfig MailScanner on
  service MailScanner start

voilá!