Sophos issue?

Martin Sapsed m.sapsed at BANGOR.AC.UK
Thu Jul 17 09:22:39 IST 2003

Kevin Spicer wrote:
> Set the scanner to 'sophos' if you have just installed Sophos - this
> will then call the Sweep binary.
>
> If you find that the startup time for sweep is bogging your mail server
> down you can install the savi perl module (as described on the
> MailScanner website), this is a perl API that allows one to use the
> Sophos C libraries without having to run sweep.  Under this circumstance
> you should change virus scanners to sophossavi.
>
> The Sophos C libraries come with the command line scanner and there is n
> additional license, although you do have to install the perl module
> (which is not distributed by Sophos themselves).
>
> Unless you have performance issues its easier to stick with regular
> Sophos.

The only thing I'd add to Kevin's answer is that you should use the
supplied Sophos.install script to do the install in the way MailScanner
likes it. (I confess that I alter the script slightly because I wanted
intercheck available but that's just me!)

If you want to use the command line scanner to check something then call
sweep via the sophos-wrapper rather than directly.

Cheers,

Martin

--
Martin Sapsed
Information Services               "Who do you say I am?"