False-positives

Martin Sapsed m.sapsed at BANGOR.AC.UK
Thu Jul 17 09:16:00 IST 2003

Steve Douglas wrote:
> I have the "SPAM lists to reach high score" setting set to 5.  My server
> only gets about 2000 messages a day, yet I have about 100 or so messages
> that were originally identified as SPAM.  Is there something I need to
> do here?  I have white listed these messages by their network IDs to
> prevent this in the future, but the false-positives are reflected as an
> important area of concern by my management due the fact alot of this
> information is directly tied to the company's revenue.

If I understand you correctly, 100 or so out of 2000 messages per day
are marked as spam when they shouldn't be?

You haven't said which version of SpamAssassin you're using - that has a
big effect on the scores you get. If you look at the SpamCheck header
and there's a high-value category listed consistently among the wrongly-
marked messages you could lower that score in
MailScanner/etc/spam.assassin.prefs.conf perhaps?

If your correctly marked spam is consistently coming in with higher
scores, then just raise the threshold.

Cheers,

Martin

--
Martin Sapsed
Information Services               "Who do you say I am?"