outbound mail gets stuck when MailScanner running

Chris Yuzik chris at FRACTALWEB.COM
Tue Jul 15 04:14:56 IST 2003

I've done extensive testing and now understand what's going on...but I don't know how to fix it.

When MailScanner is running, all mail sent from any of the user accounts (on my virtual domains), will get stuck on the server. In fact, it doesn't even go into a queue directory anywhere. Each time a message is sent, it just sits in the root of the virtual directory from which it came from.

When MailScanner is running, each time I attempt to send a message I get two new files in /home/virtual/fractalweb.com (which would be the root directory for the virtual domain when it's chrooted). One file always starts with a "d" and the other a "q"; the rest of the file name is the same.

My last test generated these:
-rw-------    1 root     root            3 Jul 14 19:54 dfh6F2sot32240
-rw-------    1 root     root         1040 Jul 14 19:54 qfh6F2sot32240

If I copy these files to (the real) /var/spool/mqueue and type "sendmail -q" then they're actually sent out. Otherwise, they just sit there and collect dust.

Incoming mail from the outside (my server) world works great.

My guess is there is some sort of config file somewhere that needs a good tweak. Problem is...I'm stuck again and I need help.

"Help please." :-)