strange glitch results in lost mail

mikea mikea at MIKEA.ATH.CX
Mon Jul 14 22:02:20 IST 2003

On Mon, Jul 14, 2003 at 01:50:02PM -0700, Chris Yuzik wrote:
> Hi Evert,

> Everything in my MailScanner.conf file looks ok from what I
can tell. MTA and Sendmail are as you show, and sendmail is in
/usr/bin/sendmail.

> I haven't noticed anything particularly strange in the
> /var/log/maillog file...but I'm not sure what I'm supposed to look for
> either. Any hints?

Mail that comes in through the input Sendmail, but never gets picked
up by the output Sendmail, for one. You could have a quick look
through the /var/spool/mqueue.in directory tree for stuff that
should have been processed, too.

> Where exactly do you whitelist the internal domains? Is that in
> "/etc/MailScanner/spam.whitelist.rules"? I don't have this file on my
> system and am not sure what format to use. Could you give me a couple
> of examples, or point me to the right place in the docs for this?

Try /opt/MailScanner/etc/rules. Mine has the following files in it:

EXAMPLES                README                  spam.whitelist.rules

and spam.whitelist.rules looks like this:

# This is where you can build a Spam WhiteList
# Addresses matching in here, with the value
# "yes" will never be marked as spam.
From:                   152.78.                         yes
#From:                  130.246.                        yes
FromOrTo:               default                  no
From:            westernunion.com       yes
From:            *@*.state.ok.us         yes
From:            *@*.mil                         yes
From:            *@*.gov                         yes

NOTE: The whitespace between the pairs of columns is Tab characters.

--
Mike Andrews
mikea at mikea.ath.cx
Tired old sysadmin since 1964