Virus Update Scripts with Timeouts

Gerry Doris gerry at DORFAM.CA
Fri Jul 11 13:36:54 IST 2003

On Fri, 11 Jul 2003, John Wilcock wrote:

> On Thu, 10 Jul 2003 19:28:37 -0400, Gerry Doris wrote:
> > I have modified the two update scripts to add a timeout (default=15sec).
> > If the script has not completed the connection to the download site before
> > the timeout the script is aborted and MailScanner is given back control.
>
> I've tried these new scripts here on a redhat 9 box - they work fine
> if called directly from a shell prompt, but for some reason don't log
> the usual updated / does not need updating information to the syslog
> when called from Julian's cron.hourly script. Any ideas?
>
> John.

I'm using a Redhat 7.3 box and don't have RH 9 to test with.  When I run
"update_virus_scanners" from the command line I see the correct logging in
/var/log/maillog.  It also works correctly when run from the cron.hourly
script.

Perhaps someone with a RH 9 box can try them and let us know if it works
for them.

--
Gerry

"The lyfe so short, the craft so long to learne"  Chaucer