anyone noticing a rise in spam?

Martin Hepworth maxsec at TOTALISE.CO.UK
Fri Jul 11 09:57:35 IST 2003

Chris W. Parker wrote:

> Hello,
>
> My boss said to me today "I've noticed that since you put in that spam filter [about 2 months ago] we've [himself and at least one other employee] been getting a lot more spam. Most of it gets marked as spam but there is definitely an increase. Can you find out why?"
>
> Well my immediate reaction is that it's just coincidence and there's no other reason for it. But I thought I would survey the list and see if anyone else has any other ideas.
>
> Our email addresses (except for maybe mine) are not plastered on the internet anymore than they used to be.
>
> Any/all ideas welcome.
>

> Thanks,
> Chris.
Chris

Yes its gone up rapidly over the last 6 months.

two years ago we had 250 users on email and around 2,500 emails per week
last year we had 200 users on email and around 7,000 emails per week
now we have 150 users on email and 24,000 emails per week. (85% of which
is spam).

yes the average number of emails per user is rising, but mostly I be
eating spam this year! The increase is almost purely spam.

--
martin
(at home)