MS Performance

Andrea Cogliati AndreaC at GOTECH.IT
Wed Jul 9 16:48:20 IST 2003

Matt,

>> Tried that [tmpfs] but it doesn't seem to help. I've put another 128
>> MB of RAM to a total of 256MB. With or without tmpfs I can get a
>> maximum of 1.72 scanned messages per second (103 msg/min). It seems
>> be a limit of the CPU and not of the RAM.
>>
>> Could someone confirm or confute this?

> How are you measuring performance?  Is 'top' of any help in showing
> whether things are processor bound or memory bound or otherwise?

I simpy stop MailScanner, put a lot of mail messages (2.000, generated
by postal)
in mqueue.in, then start MailScanner and watch when mqueue.in is empty.

'top' shows high system load (over 7) and CPU usage (roughly 75% user
and 25%
system). Memory used is always below memory available and no swap is
used.
It seems CPU bound to me.

Andrea