Sophos Antivirus...

Mark Nienberg mark at TIPPINGMAR.COM
Wed Jul 9 01:38:59 IST 2003

On 8 Jul 2003 at 10:01, Kevin Miller wrote:

> It seems that they put out a new "version" monthly, or as needed.  The
> MailScanner script (or at least the instructions on the MS web page for a
> tarball install) indicate that a daily cron job can be used to update the
> critter.  I have the impression though, that I'd still have to do a monthly
> install of the new IDE files.  Is that correct?  Can it be set up so that it
> takes care of itself for the duration of the license (i.e., a year or more)?
> In the event of an outbreak I don't mind doing a manual pull, but I don't
> want to make it a habit every month.

The monthly (or at least once every 3 months) update is the
engine, not the IDE files. But Julian's installation script
downloads fresh IDEs after it installs the engine.  A shell
script to automate the monthly update is available here:

http://www.sng.ecs.soton.ac.uk/mailscanner/downloads.shtml

or here:

http://www.tippingmar.com/majorsophos/
--