Mailscanner server becoming unresponsive, high disk activitity

mikea mikea at MIKEA.ATH.CX
Mon Jul 7 21:42:32 IST 2003

On Tue, Jul 08, 2003 at 04:10:28AM -0500, Orbitel Webmaster wrote:
> If I start mailscanner on my server it freezes the whole box within 2
> hours.  When it freezes disk activity goes non-stop until I hit the
> reset key.
>
> This is without load, or a very small load, going through
> mailscanner.  If I turn off the mailscanner service the problem
> disappears.
>
> Any advice?

How much Ram? How much swap? What OS? What speed CPU?

It *sounds* as though you're running on a box with about 25% to 50%
of the RAM it needs. I know all about that; that's why I went from
a 200MHz box with 64 MBytes to a 433MHz box with 384 MBytes. Now I
don't see swapping at all.

--
Mike Andrews
mikea at mikea.ath.cx