Spam Actions attachment mode and bayes learn

Kevin Spicer kevins at BMRB.CO.UK
Mon Jul 7 21:33:36 IST 2003

>   I just upgraded from 4.21-9 to 4.22-5, and in the process I changed
>from "Spam Actions = deliver" to "Spam Actions = attachment".

You need to set

Spam Actions = attachment deliver

or the message will be turned into an attachment but not delivered (I
found that out the hard way)

>  Will this break my bayes learning on collected spam?

If you're talking about the 'auto' Bayes learning which takes place
during the spamassassin spam the answer is no. MailScanner can't know
the message is spam until its done the spam checks, therefore the
conversion to an attachment must take place later in the processing.

If you're talking about feeding false positives back into the system
(maybe through a falsespam mailbox or something similar) the answer is
maybe.  Problem is that sa-learn uses the messageid to unlearn wrongly
learned spam, Julian has managed to preserve the messageid, so...
If the message was high enough scoring for Bayes to auto-learn it then
it will just relearn the tokens identified previously from the
messageid, but...
If the message was not learned previously (moderate scoring spam, which
most false positives will be) then it will need to tokenise it and may
get mislead by the attachment.

At least thats how I think it works!  (my understanding based on SA docs
rather than the actual code)

The good news is that there is a script to extract an rfc822 attachment
from a message.  I'm using it in a procmail recipe which extracts the
attachment from the mail and stores it in a file ready for my sa-learn
cron job (which has to run as the mailscanner user not the user who owns
the falsespam mailbox).
That script can be found here...
http://jmason.org/software/scripts/extract-rfc822-attachment.txt

BMRB International