How can I exclude exe attachment from single email address

Julian Field mailscanner at ecs.soton.ac.uk
Thu Jul 3 22:06:07 IST 2003

At 21:17 03/07/2003, you wrote:
>Just moved MailScanner into production today * WOOHOO!!
>
>But ...
>
>I'm blocking .exe's using filename.rules.conf, but we have to deal with
>another company that insists on sending an *IMPORTANT* file as an exe
>attachment.
>
>Is there a way to allow .exe only from that email address?

Copy filename.rules.conf to filename.special.rules.conf.
Edit filename.special.rules.conf and add a rule to the top of it along the
lines of
allow   \.exe$  -       -
(separate those 4 sections with tab characters, not spaces).

Then construct a ruleset in /etc/MailScanner/rules/filename.rules that
looks like this:
From:   awkward at bugger.com      /etc/MailScanner/filename.special.rules.conf
FromOrTo:       default         /etc/MailScanner/filename.rules.conf

Edit /etc/MailScanner/MailScanner.conf so it uses it
Filename Rules = /etc/MailScanner/rules/filename.rules

Then reload or restart MailScanner.
--
Julian Field