MailScanner log entries

Alan Fiebig mailscanner at ELKNET.NET
Thu Jul 3 22:14:38 IST 2003

What can I look for in the maillog to see if MailScanner is rejecting messages based on rbl scores?

I have disabled rbl checking in spamassassin and enabled them in MailScanner, but don't see any evidence that they are working.

All mail coming into my network is received by a qmail server. This qmail server then forwards the mail on to my MailScanner server.

Normally, I run rblsmtpd on the qmail server which checks 6 or 7 different rbl sites. This works perfectly, and I can see many rejections per minute in the qmail logs, so I know I'm receiving mail from sites that should be rejected.

So, on MailScanner, I entered the same list of rbl sites into 'spam.lists.conf' file:

dorkslayers                     orbs.dorkslayers.com.
reynolds                        rmst.bl.reynolds.net.au.
spamsites                       spamsites.relays.osirusoft.com.
dnsrbl                          spam.dnsrbl.net.
flowgoaway                      flowgoaway.com.
njabl                           dnsbl.njabl.org.
spamhaus                        sbl.spamhaus.org.
spamcop                         bl.spamcop.net.

and then I entered them into the 'spam list' space seperated:

  dorkslayers reynolds spamsites dnsrbl flowgoaway njabl spamhaus spamcop

I set the 'Spam Lists To Reach High Score' to '1' so it should work just like my qmail server for testing purposes.

Then I shut down the rbl checking on the qmail server so that it would accept all messages, but in examining the MailScanner logs, I don't see any evidence that its rejecting anything based on rbl checks.

a) What text should I be looking for in the logs to see rbl rejections
b) Is there a way to see if MailScanner has experienced timeouts on any of the rbl sites I entered?
c) Is there a way to see if MailScanner has disabled any of my rbl checks due to hitting the max number of timeouts?

Thanks!