DSN: Return receipt ??

Remco Barendse mailscanner at BARENDSE.TO
Thu Jul 3 20:14:57 IST 2003

If your users are on Outlook 2000 too there is no way to disable the DSN
messages (both read/unread and successfully delivered etc).

It's only possible to do this in Outlook 2000 if you are using it in
'internet mode' where it is simply popping mail from the exchange server
and sending via smtp. If you are using Workgroup mode (or whatever it's
called) than the option to disable DSN is not available.

This caused me several headaches. MicroGarden Outlook Tools (free app,
google is your friend) was only filtering half the crap.

I think Julian had a look at the annoying, privacy invading, DSN messages
from Exchange/Outlook but it never made it into MailScanner itself.
Anyways the read receipts can be efficiently killed off using sendmail
rules although this also blocks incoming DSN messages if you are using
them.

I can post the sendmail rules to filter the crap if interested.

The successfully delivered stuff can be killed from within Exchange (at
least in 99% of the cases) using the tick box in the earlier mail.