DSN: Return receipt ??

Sebastian Wiesinger sw at INTERNETX.DE
Wed Jul 2 16:38:04 IST 2003

* Remco Barendse <mailscanner at BARENDSE.TO> [2003-07-02 16:15]:
> In the maillog I noticed a remark about a DSN: Return receipt.
>
> What does the line from maillog mean? Any return receipt did not appear in
> the mailbox for archived outgoing mail.

If a user adds a "Return-Receipt-To: <mail at address>" header to his/her
mail, sendmail will deliver an receipt upon successful delivery of the
mail. You can deactivate this feature with the following option in
your sendmail.mc:

define(`confPRIVACY_FLAGS', `noreceipts')dnl

>From the sendmail operation guide:
#v+
public         Allow open access
needmailhelo   Insist on HELO or EHLO command before MAIL
needexpnhelo   Insist on HELO or EHLO command before EXPN
noexpn         Disallow EXPN entirely, implies noverb.
needvrfyhelo   Insist on HELO or EHLO command before VRFY
novrfy         Disallow VRFY entirely
noetrn         Disallow ETRN entirely
noverb         Disallow VERB entirely
restrictmailq  Restrict mailq command
restrictqrun   Restrict -q command line flag
restrictexpand Restrict -bv and -v command line flags
noreceipts     Don't return success DSNs20
nobodyreturn   Don't return the body of a message with DSNs
goaway         Disallow essentially all SMTP status queries
authwarnings   Put X-Authentication-Warning: headers in messages
               and log warnings
#v-

I prefer the following line:

define(`confPRIVACY_FLAGS', `goaway,noreceipts,restrictqrun,restrictexpand')dnl

> I use sendmail rules to discard read receipt messages but in this case
> there is nothing in the maillog that this message or reply was discarded.

I don't know what rules you use for discarding, but the configuration
option above is the right way to deactivate the DSN2.x.x messages.

For more info about the privacy options, see the sendmail installation
and operation guide (op/op.txt.gz).

--
InterNetX GmbH
Sebastian Wiesinger