Quick translation request - Brazilian Portuguese

Mariano Absatz mailscanner at LISTS.COM.AR
Tue Jul 1 19:20:57 IST 2003

El 1 Jul 2003 a las 18:51, Julian Field escribió:

> Why is it always the Spanish and Portuguese who can never agree on the
> translation? I guess it's the difference in dialects between Europe and
> South America.
In the case of Portuguese (though I don't speak, I understand a lot), I know
the Brazilian Portuguese is _quite_ different from that spoken in Portugal...
I don't know about the few places in Africa (former Portuguese colonies).

Regarding Spanish, afaik, the language is spoken in more countries than any
others (not by more people, I guess that is Chinese), and there are wild
differences between Spain, southern South America, northern South America,
Central America and Mexico... even down here (in the South Cone) Chilean
people speak quite differently from Argentinian and Uruguayan people, not
only from an accent point of view, but the words themselves...

The first shot at translating MailScanner into Spanish was done by Luis
Peromarta (from Spain) and myself (from Argentina), after a brief discusion
about the local-neutrality of it...

> Maybe I should create a Red-neck and Geordie translation too? :)
>
> Anyone know any Scots Gaelic?
>
> At 18:45 01/07/2003, you wrote:
> >I'm in Brazil and I speak Portuguese but what I don't know is if we're
> >translating selected phrases or a whole system (I did not follow the
> >translation thread). If it's just this phrase I favor Stephen's
> >formulation and if you want to keep it shorter you can use:
> >
> >A mensagem excede o espaço disponível
> >
> >Miguel
> >
> >Stephen Lee wrote:
> >
> >>Here's another Brazilian Portuguese version (by proxy as well):
> >>
> >>Esta mensagem excede o espaço disponível.
> >>

> >>Stephen

Mariano Absatz
El Baby