spam quarantine not checked for virus?

Dustin Baer dustin.baer at IHS.COM
Thu Jan 30 16:06:43 GMT 2003

Julian Field wrote:

> At 14:54 30/01/2003, you wrote:
> >Good day,
> >
> >I have a message that was quarantined by MailScanner due to
> >SpamAssassin.  It was later requested.  Since it can't go back through
> >MailScanner, less it be quarantined as spam again, it was put directly
> >into /var/spool/mqueue.  It was caught later down the road by Norton
> >AntiVirus on our Lotus Notes server.
> >
> >If messages are caught by SpamAssassin and moved to quarantine/*/spam,
> >are they also checked for viruses?
>
> The spam checking and quarantining is done first, before any of the virus
> checking.
>
> You could quite easily (and automatically) quarantine the message as a
> 1-file-per-message (rather than as raw queue files), invoke sendmail to
> cause the delivery and add localhost to your spam whitelist. Not ideal, I
> admit, but it would get you out of the hole.

I figured out how to get around it.  The situation is that people
request the quarantined spam and it automatically sent the qf/df files
to mqueue.  I modified the script to add another header and wrote a
SpamAssassin rule to give that header a -100 score.  Then the raw files
are sent back through mqueue.in and completely scanned.

Dustin

--
Dustin Baer
Unix Administrator/Postmaster