spam quarantine not checked for virus?

Julian Field mailscanner at ecs.soton.ac.uk
Thu Jan 30 15:20:15 GMT 2003

At 14:54 30/01/2003, you wrote:
>Good day,
>
>I have a message that was quarantined by MailScanner due to
>SpamAssassin.  It was later requested.  Since it can't go back through
>MailScanner, less it be quarantined as spam again, it was put directly
>into /var/spool/mqueue.  It was caught later down the road by Norton
>AntiVirus on our Lotus Notes server.
>
>If messages are caught by SpamAssassin and moved to quarantine/*/spam,
>are they also checked for viruses?

The spam checking and quarantining is done first, before any of the virus
checking.

You could quite easily (and automatically) quarantine the message as a
1-file-per-message (rather than as raw queue files), invoke sendmail to
cause the delivery and add localhost to your spam whitelist. Not ideal, I
admit, but it would get you out of the hole.

I might re-arrange the code at some point in the future so that the
quarantining/archiving is done at the end, but I seem to remember that
introduces problems of its own as well.
--
Julian Field