Sophos Updates

Julian Field mailscanner at ecs.soton.ac.uk
Sun Jan 26 17:27:34 GMT 2003

It is possible to completely automate it. But I agree with Jeff's comments.
With the current way it could be done, it would only take Sophos to
re-organise their web site and it would break. It would also end up relying
on a security slip-up made by Sophos, in order to be full automatic. The
process can break in so many ways that I wouldn't feel safe using an
automated script to do this. When you do a download and a "Sophos.install"
by hand you can easily see that they worked.

It only takes me 5 or 10 minutes every 3 months to update my 3 servers by
hand. I wouldn't feel safe leaving it to a cron job :-)

What you can easily do is add a monthly cron job which mails you the output of
         /usr/lib/MailScanner/sophos-wrapper -v | head -12
which will give you the release date of your current installation so you
know when it needs to be updated.

--
Julian Field