sendmail 8.12.7 squawking after MS 4.11-1 upgrade

Steve Campbell steve at AVALON.DARTMOUTH.EDU
Thu Jan 23 14:10:24 GMT 2003

> At 12:24 23/01/2003, you wrote:
> >I am seeing the problem running version 4.05-3. I cannot find three close()
> >calls in /opt/bin/mailscanner. Can you tell me exactly which file to examine?
>
> 4.05 didn't contain these close() calls, it appears. So this definitely
> shouldn't be causing a problem. Any evidence of anything nasty happening,
> or is sendmail just being noisy?

As far as I can tell from looking at the sendmail code, it just complains but continues processing, ie does not exit.

So in one sense we could ignore the message. But it is troubling that MailScanner seems to run normally for some time and the messages only begin later. This suggests that initially stdin, stdout, and stderr are open when sendmail is invoked, but later they are not. And this sounds like some kind of file descriptor leak.

Steve Campbell
Dartmouth College