Kaspersky Virus Issues

Nerijus Baliunas nerijus at USERS.SOURCEFORGE.NET
Sat Jan 18 15:04:19 GMT 2003

On Fri, 17 Jan 2003 14:17:47 -0600 "James A. Pattie" <james at PCXPERIENCE.COM> wrote:

>         I have a user of DansGuardian Anti-Virus that is using Kaspersky
> anti-virus.  He complained about really long scan times of > 100
> seconds.  When I looked into it, it appears that the kaspersky-wrapper
> script is running the kavscanner program, but it never returns or
> outputs anything.  This is Kaspersky 3.0 build 136.

I also use DansGuardian Anti-Virus with Kaspersky and have no such
problems. I'd suggest to upgrade to latest Kaspersky (4.0.2.2 IIRC),
as 3.0 build 136 is very old.

>         I tracked it down to kaspersky needing to be in the /opt/AVP directory
> when calling kavscanner so that it could load it's definition files.

It shouldn't need for me.

> Even then, it is taking around 9-13 seconds to scan small html files
> where f-prot does it in 0-1 seconds.  I added a 'cd ${PackageDir}'
> before the exec line.
>
>         Can anyone comment to verify if I have correctly resolved this and/or
> if a newer version of Kaspersky can be launched from anywhere and still
> get to it's virus definition files?

Newer versions of Kaspersky can be launched from anywhere.

Regards,
Nerijus