Confused operator, server down ...

G. Armour Van Horn vanhorn at whidbey.com
Fri Jan 17 10:32:39 GMT 2003

Greetings,

I was having some problems with one of myservers, one of those where every
time you think you have it solved, something else breaks as soon as your back
is turned. (Or as soon as you go to bed.) Right now, the mail isn't moving at
all.

This is RedHat 7.2, Sendmail 8.12.16, MailScanner 4.11-1. All of this was
recently working, although most of it got upgraded during the thrashing
around, and there's no telling what I might have stepped on along the way.

"service MailScanner restart" fires off two copies of sendmail, one for
incoming and one for outgoing. Both appear in the "ps aux" looking like
normal. One says "sendmail: accepting connections" and the other says
"sendmail: Queue runner at 00:05:00 for /var/spool/mqueue". There's precious
little in /var/spool/mail, so Queue runner could be running just fine.

Everything in both sendmail.mc and submit.mc looks rational, although I don't
have a copy from a week ago to compare with. Both are set to localhost,
127.0.0.1.

If I send a message outside the system from the command line it never gets
there. Messages from outside aren't getting in, I just got a notice that a
message I sent 24 hours ago hasn't been delivered, "Connection refused."

Telnet to port 25 from outside also gets "Connection refused."

Mail to root should be delivered to vanhorn, according to the aliases file,
but messages from cron to root end up in /var/spool/mail/root, so the
aliases.db isn't getting used, although there is no error on running
newaliases.

Messages from the command line (sendmail vanhorn <test_message.txt) do not
get delivered.

Mail that has been spooled for users (i.e., /var/spool/mail/vanhorn ) can be
retrieved with POP clients without problem.

What am I missing?

Van

Sign up now for Quotes of the Day, a handful of quotations
on a theme delivered every morning.
Enlightenment! Daily, for free!
mailto:twisted at whidbey.com?subject=Subscribe_QOTD

For web hosting and maintenance,