Suse 8.1 rpm install

Shane Kelly s.kelly at ayrcoll.ac.uk
Wed Jan 15 11:53:28 GMT 2003

MailScanner 4-11.1 suse rpm
Suse Linux 8.1
Sendmail 8.12.6
perl 5.8.0
spamassassin not installed.

Notes: Suse was installed from scratch using manual install, minimum config
with sendmail added after succesful install, as was gcc, binutils,make, patch
etc.

Instructions from
http://www.sng.ecs.soton.ac.uk/mailscanner/install/linux.shtml
were followed.

Mailscanner.conf and reports were edited to suit this site.

Results:
 Syntax error in MailScanner script file (line 67) - two semi-colons missing -
(add them yourself)
Use chkconfig -s sendmail off to turn off sendmail
Use chkconfig -s MailScanner on to turn on MailScanner
Use chkconfig -l <service-name> to see if <service-name> is on or off.

Hey Presto, one working email exchanger with av scanning.

Optional: comment out all references to SENDMAIL_CLIENT_ARGS in MailScanner
script, along with any references to $msppid (and the rc-status calls
immediately after them). This - http://www.sendmail.org/secure-install.html
will tell why (or why not) you should do this - basically if you do not have
users 'homed' on this server, then you can do this and it won't break
anything, (I think!) otherwise leave it standard.

Overall, as a long time user of MailScanner, (4-11.1 replaced 3-12.?) I think
Julian deserves a medal for his untiring efforts, his good humour
(MailScanner contains some of the politest error messages I have ever seen!),
his attention to detail and his responsiveness to user requests.

I have always advocated MailScanner against commercial programs, and with the
4 series and its configurability, I will continue to advocate its use on any
occasion that I can.

Thank you, Julian.

Regards,
	Shane Kelly.