whitelist problems

Julian Field mailscanner at ecs.soton.ac.uk
Wed Jan 15 10:02:38 GMT 2003

At 23:34 14/01/2003, you wrote:
>We have some people that don't want us to screen for junk mail.  So
>listed them in MailScanners whitelist.  Well if a SPAM comes through
>and has one of the recipents in  the whitelist then it delievers it
>to everyone on the SPAM's recipent list.  Anyway around that?  Maybe
>a different place to list my customers that don't want their spam
>screened?

In my experience very little spam has multiple recipients in 1 message
these days. MailScanner doesn't split messages up into multiple copies of
the same message (I really don't like generating mail if at all possible).
So if a message is whitelisted for 1 recipient, then it is whitelisted for
all recipients of that message.

There isn't any easy way around this, other than to deliver their spam and
strip out the subject line tag with procmail once it has been delivered to
them. That's pretty simple though. You can still screen their mail for
spam, you just need to make it look like you didn't :-)
--
Julian Field