Manage quarantine

Jeff A. Earickson jaearick at COLBY.EDU
Tue Jan 14 13:49:29 GMT 2003

Hi,
   We have discarded infected emails since day one (April 2002 in our
case).  We also do not disinfect-then-deliver.  The sender and postmaster
are notified that the email was vaporized (the recipient is not), but that
is it.

   The reason we do not either quarantine or deliver cleaned messages is
privacy.  Some virii grab a document at random and email it; cleaning
and delivering that document violates the privacy of the user of the
infected machine.  Likewise, hanging onto the document via quarantine
also violates the privacy of the victim.   I've never had a complaint
about "your system ate my email and I want it back."

Jeff A. Earickson, Ph.D
Senior UNIX Sysadmin and Email Guru
Information Technology Services
Colby College, 4214 Mayflower Hill,