RBL checking w/ MS and SA

Todd Williams todd.williams at TFCCI.COM
Mon Jan 13 18:54:21 GMT 2003

Hi all,

There must be something I'm missing?  The MailScanner's RBL lists in my
setup seem as if all of them are not being checked.  I normally get multiple
RBL returns on most SPAM messages.  I do have SpamAssassin enabled -- if I
added lists to the MailScanner.conf and the spam.lists.conf files, I assumed
the MailScanner either did RBL checking on it's own or passed the RBL's on
to SpamAssassin to be checked?
- Do I need to add the RBL checking to the spamassassin config to make it
all happen and to check all of the RBLs I desire to use?
- Is the MailScanner spam.lists.conf file used if SpamAssassin is in play?

- Also one other question about the MailScanner.conf and the DNS blacklists,
what is the difference between the "Spam List" configuration entry and the
"Spam Domain List".  I guess I don't see how the two actually interact.  If
SA is used, is it a moot point what's in this part of the config?

Just a little confused -- sorry.

Here are excerpts from my config files...
----------------------------
MailScanner.conf
----------------------------
# This is the name of the file that translates the names of the "Spam List"
# values to the real DNS names of the spam blacklists.
Spam List Definitions = /etc/MailScanner/spam.lists.conf
# Do you want to check messages to see if they are spam?
# This can also be the filename of a ruleset.
Spam Checks = yes

# This is the list of spam blacklists (RBLs) which you are using.
# See the "Spam List Definitions" file for more information about what
# you can put here.
# This can also be the filename of a ruleset.
#Spam List = ORDB-RBL Infinite-Monkeys # MAPS-RBL+ costs money (except
.ac.uk)
Spam List = ORDB-RBL spamcop.net Infinite-Monkeys osirusoft.com
WIREHUB-DNSBL OSIRUSOFT-SPEWS

# This is the list of spam domain blacklists which you are using
# (such as the "rfc-ignorant" domains). See the "Spam List Definitions"
# file for more information about what you can put here.
# This can also be the filename of a ruleset.
#Spam Domain List =
# Set the location of the SpamAssassin user_prefs file. If you want to
# stop SpamAssassin doing all the RBL checks again, then you can add
# "skip_rbl_checks = 1" to this prefs file.
SpamAssassin Prefs File = /etc/MailScanner/spam.assassin.prefs.conf
----------------------------
/MailScanner.conf
spam.assassin.prefs.conf
# By default, SpamAssassin will run RBL checks.  If your ISP already
# does this, set this to 1.
#
# skip_rbl_checks 1
/spam.assassin.prefs.conf