Spam blacklist?

Spicer, Kevin Kevin.Spicer at BMRB.CO.UK
Fri Jan 10 13:52:07 GMT 2003

Spamassassin does have a rule for detecting spam in a foreign language (haven't looked to see how it works!) - I've had some Asian spam recently & I'm fairly sure the ones I looked at were tagged by this rule.  Maybe this rule is being triggered but there aren't enough other indicators to produce a score above the threshold?

-----Original Message-----
From: Remco Barendse [mailto:mailscanner at BARENDSE.TO]
Sent: Friday, January 10, 2003 12:32 PM
To: MAILSCANNER at JISCMAIL.AC.UK
Subject: Re: Spam blacklist?

Maybe it's possible to just give blacklisted mail the same treatment as
high scoring spam although some ppl do filtering at the client and may be
undesirable for them? The high scoring stuff isn't delivered at all here,
it's deleted.

Also we are seeing lots of Chinese spam. Complete rubbish mails without
even 1 legible character in it, only chinese. Most of these aren't
rated by SpamAssassin, probably Chinese rules aren't implemented yet :)

Is there any other clever way to get rid of these mails? I can't filter
out all e-mails that contain some chinese characters of some sort because
we do have some mail flow with china and their header when replying on our
e-mails will contain some chinese characters.

I was thinking of a solution where all the characters in the body of an
e-mail are counted and if the number of chinese characters exceeds a
certain percentage the mail would be marked as spam.

Anybody else bothered by this chinese rubbish?

On Thu, 9 Jan 2003, Julian Field wrote:

> At 21:24 08/01/2003, you wrote:
> >Indeed, that is one possible solution.
> >
> >But not all of my boxes run spamassassin, particularly RedHat 6.2 is very
> >difficult to get SA properly installed. Lots of things to upgrade and 90%
> >of the spam problem is from or to a limited set of e-mail adresses on my
> >boxes.
> >
> >But one would think that a blacklisted mail adress would be processed
> >according to high scoring rules, otherwise there isn't much use in
> >blacklisting them :)
>
> My black/white-listing isn't really connected to the SpamAssassin scoring
> code. Maybe it should be.

> > > Why not use SA to do the RBL checks and then assign them a score which will
> > > force them into the high score category using the spam.assassin.prefs.conf
> > > file?
> > > --
> > > Lewis Bergman
> > > Texas Communications
> > > 4309 Maple St.
> > > Abilene, TX 79602-8044
> > > 915-695-6962 ext 115
> > >

> >--
> >This message has been scanned for viruses and
> >dangerous content by MailScanner, and is
> >believed to be clean.
>
> --
> Julian Field
> www.MailScanner.info