Reviving an old idea about renaming forbidden extensions

Julian Field mailscanner at ecs.soton.ac.uk
Thu Jan 9 21:10:48 GMT 2003

At 20:45 09/01/2003, you wrote:
>Rather than changing the rule to Allow .exe, restarting MailScanner, having
>them send out the e-mail, change the rule,
>restart mailscanner every time I would be interested in having other
>'options' within MailScanner to allow .exe's to
>go to certain email addresses with minimal intervention.

You can do that already with a ruleset.
In MailScanner.conf, set
Filename Rules = /etc/MailScanner/rules/filename.rules

In filename.rules, set
From:   user1 at domain.com        /etc/MailScanner/filename.rules.allow.conf
To:     user2 at other.com /etc/MailScanner/filename.rules.allow.conf
FromOrTo:       default /etc/MailScanner/filename.rules.conf

Then make the first line of filename.rules.allow.conf to be
allow   \.exe$  -       -

Then *.exe attachments from user1 at domain.com or to user2 at other.com will be
allowed, but not for any other addresses.
--
Julian Field